Lazy Garlic

• 4 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Lazy Garlic
« on: July 25, 2010, 22:05 »
Does anyone have recipe for making equivalent to Lazy Garlic? I have a jar and according to that there's nothing in it but chopped garlic and white wine vinegar, so it sounds as though it should be easy enough. I just wondered if anyone had tried this,  to give me some idea of garlic/wine vinegar ratio, and any tips on avoiding botulism :)

catllar

Re: Lazy Garlic
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 14:29 »
Have  you considered just chopping it up and open-freezing it before bagging it up to use as needed? Garlic butter also freezes well.

wighty

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 21:58 »
I make Lazy Garlic every year.  Wait for the garlic to dry out, about four weeks, peel and then chop in my food processor, cram into sterilized jars and cover with white wine vinegar.  The jar I'm using at the moment is from 2008 and there is no difference in taste.  I usually add it to what I am cooking with a fork but any vinegar quickly gets 'evaporated' off.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 01:24 »
That's great, thanks for that. I'm definitely going to try that this year. I want to use my home-grown garlic, but on the other hand Lazy Garlic is just so much faster and easier when you're in the middle of cooking something :)

daisy1990

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 01:27 »
I think the risk of botulism is very overstated, I have been preserving garlic in oil for years and have never had a problem.  There may be a theoretical risk but has anyone out there ever heard of anyone having botulism from garlic?
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

xx
lazy cow veggie pie

Started by Babycat on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

32 Replies
Last post October 02, 2007, 05:50
by mushroom
xx
Lazy way to freeze corn on the cob...

Started by Sally A on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post August 27, 2007, 00:25
by John
xx
Garlic

Started by Annie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post July 18, 2007, 23:03
by tetley
xx
Garlic

Started by PeterP on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

18 Replies
Last post August 08, 2011, 18:05
by catllar

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 36 queries.